Ever had an icebox cookie? well, you will definitely want to try one if not. These cookies are lovely with vanilla ice cream between them, and a few chocolate chips packed across it to make ice cream sandwiches for fast treats.
Perfect for Christmas gifts they are hardy to send and taste wonderful with just enough cinnamon to give them a bit of bite to the taste.
To make these splendid cookies you will need:
- 2 cups of flour
- a pinch of teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- Brown sugar – To be sprinkled on top prior to baking (optional)
- Sift the dry ingredients together, excluding the sugar, into a large mixing bowl.
- In a clean mixing bowel cream the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until it is evenly mixed.
- Divide your dough into four equal parts, rolling each into a log about two inches in diameter.
- wrap in foil and freeze for about forty five minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly oil two baking sheets.
- Slice the logs with a sharp knife into slices about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Then back in the oven for about ten minutes or until lightly browned and crisp around the edges.
- Once your timer has rung, take your delicious cookies out and wait at least 5-10 minutes for them to cool down before treating yourself and your family to some hot cookies if you will or simply putting them in the fridge or freezer so they can become the cookies we all know and love.
In conclusion I hope this recipe has helped you to make some real yummy icebox or refrigerator cookies and if your cookie crazy like me you might want to check out this fun YouTube video explaining the chemistry of cookies!