You can find go green cleaning products everywhere at home and in your office. You use it in cleaning dishes, floors, countertops, furniture, windows, tables and chairs, bathrooms and more.
You will find that the conventional products that we use are claiming that they are now more concentrated and cleans faster. Most of these products are petroleum based and are hazardous to your health ad to the environment.
But with the growing consciousness of most consumers with regards to going green, there are now available products in the market for this purpose. Or better yet, why don’t we make our own? In this way, we will avoid unhealthy air, toxins and thrash the super germs.
Green Cleaning Ingredients
Here are some ingredients that you probably have already or which you can buy from your local grocery stores:
- SODIUM BICARBONATE (Baking soda) – this is an all-purpose cleaner and non toxic too. It removes stains, cleans, softens fabrics and deodorizes.
- SODIUM BORATE (Borax) – this is a mineral that can kill molds and bacteria. This is a good alternative for bleach and you can also use it to scrub your tubs and toilets.
- VINEGAR (Acetic Acid) – this is an excellent water softener. It can be used on many solid surfaces and can dissuade ants from your countertops.
- LEMON JUICE – this can remove stains and perspiration from clothing. It is an alternative for vinegar and bleaching products. It also adds that extra fresh scent to your cleaning products.
- MURPHY”S OIL SOAP – this is great for your wooden floors, furniture, tiles, and no-wax floors. It is free of bleach, ammonia and other harsh detergents and is a natural biodegradable cleaning product.
- CORNSTARCH – this is used in starching clothes and it absorbs grease and oil.
- ESSENTIAL OILS AND HERBS – these are fragrant and disinfectant.
Since we now know the ingredients, here are some cleaning recipes to help you.
- GLASS CLEANER
- Use equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle or
- 2 cups water and ½ lemon juice in a spray bottle or
- ¼ cup white vinegar, 1 tbsp corn-starch, 1 quart warm water. Mix the ingredients and pour into a spray bottle or
- Use rubbing alcohol in place of a glass cleaner
- ALL PURPOSE CLEANER
- Vinegar and Salt mixed together for a good surface cleaner or
- Dissolve 2 tbsp of Borax in ½ cup lemon juice and 2 cups water. Pour into a spray bottle or
- 3 tbsp. vinegar, 1/2 tsp. washing soda, 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil based liquid soap, 2 cups hot water. Mix ingredients in spray bottle or bucket. Apply and wipe clean.
- CARPET STAIN / SPOT REMOVER
- A great non-toxic carpet stain remover is club soda. Soak spot immediately with soda and blot until the stain is gone.
- To remove grease spots from carpets, first absorb excess with a sponge; rub a liberal amount of corn starch into the spot. Let sit overnight, and then vacuum.
- For a natural rug deodorizer, sprinkle baking soda on carpets before vacuuming
- DRAIN CLEANER
- Use ½ cup of baking soda, 1 cup vinegar, 1 gallon boiling water, ½ a used lemon. Pour the baking soda down the drain followed by the vinegar. Allow the mixture to foam for several minutes before flushing the drain with boiling water.
- AIR FRESHENERS / DEODORIZERS
- In a pot of water, place cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice and other scented spice. Simmer for 1-2 hours
Important: Keep all your cleaning products out of reach of children. Make large batch and store them in airtight container. Label them properly.